The song itself is pretty simple. There's only 4 chords, but because of the key the song is played in, they can be a little tricky: Gb, Ab, Db, and Bbm. (I also have a tutorial on an easier version, where we drop the song into a different key which makes it easier to play.)
There are multiple ways you can hold these chords, here are the fingering positions I prefer:
Alternatively, you may find it easier to use the lower position of Db, though I like the higher one:
|Two ways to hold Db. Use the one most comfortable for you.|
The same 4 chords are used throughout the song, and you just change up your strumming pattern for each part.
- Verse (reggae strum): Gb, Ab, Db, Bbm (repeat 8x)
- Bridge (single downstrum): Gb, Ab, Db, Bbm; Gb, Ab, Db-Ab-Bbm
- Chorus pt 1 (reggae strum): Gb, Ab, Db, Bbm (repeat 2x)
- Chorus pt 2 (three downstrokes): Gb, Ab, Db, Bbm (repeat 2x)
- Chorus pt 3 (reggae strum): Gb, Ab, Db, Bbm (repeat 2x)
Be sure to watch the video to see how it's done. Have fun!
(Interested in an easier version of "Rude"? Check out this version!)